Who can join?
Two types of organisations can join the Belnet R&E Federation:
- Belgian R&E organisations connected to the Belnet network can join the federation as identity provider, and also as service provider if they have a web site/application to share with the community.
- Other organisations that want to provide a service to the belgian R&E community can join the federation as service provider only.
Please take a look at the agreement and the technical policy before starting the process. If, for any reason, you can’t adhere to the agreement or the technical policy, there is no point in joining the Belnet R&E Federation. You will have to install the IdP or SP software on your own systems. Belnet will not do this for you. Two systems are tried and tested in academic federations: Shibboleth and simpleSAMLphp. An in-depth explanation on how to setup your IdP installation can be found in the section ‘Set up IdP’.
In order to join the federation, follow these steps:
- Paperwork: every organisation has to sign a contract, setting the rules for everyone to follow. You may find a blank version of the contract to be filled in here; the ZIP files contain the contract and an aggreement letter to join eduGAIN as well :Please send this information to firstname.lastname@example.org or by snail mail to the following address :
Belnet Federation team
30, Boulevard Simon Bolivar
- Organizations that provides IDP
- Organizations that provides SP
- Organizations that provides IDP and SP
- We will send you the contract back, signed by Belnet.
- Technical: the technical contact persons will get access to the metadata management system. Please use this tool to submit the metadata of your IdP or SP installation. Don’t forget to have a look for the required modifications for eduGAIN.
- Once accepted by Belnet administrators, your IdP/SP will show up in the federation metadata and everything is in place.
Now you are part of the Belnet R&E Federation. We have more in-depth documentation available about the technical part of an IdP installation: it’s available in the section Identity providers technical joining process.